Tuesday, November 11, 2014

"The Hiding Place" and How It Impacted My Life

If I were to ask you . . . "What book, other than the Bible, has most shaped your life?" could you answer instantly? 

Or would you require more time to consider your options? 

Seems like an easy question to answer, but I found it a challenge. I could easily name my favorite reads, but to identify books that truly altered my thinking or caused me to modify my behavior required time and reflection. 

In the moments I had to reflect I did a quick scan of my life, looking for evidence of any book's influence. It didn't take long before The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom turned up in my thoughts. "A ha, I think I have my answer!"


But then, Self Talk by David Stoop wandered in, casting doubt on my choice. Minutes later Prison to Praise by Merlin Carothers appeared, soon followed by Who Moved My Cheese?, the bestseller by Spencer Johnson, M.D. "Oh, I'm glad I didn't overlook that gem." 

When I thought I had reached a decision, my brain sent me another one to consider: The Maker's Diet by Jordan Rubin. And from out of nowhere came the memory of an unforgettable woman in Left to Tell by Immaculee Llibagiza. 

"OK, that's enough. No more titles. It's decision time. I choose The Hiding Place; the remarkable true story of a Holocaust survivor."

How that book impacted my life requires a separate post. So, stay tuned for my next entry where I will give you the details.  After that I'll write about the other titles I considered, as all marked my life for different reasons and deserve more comment. 


P.S. What book has shaped your life? Would love to hear your answer.

2 comments:

  1. Easy…The Velvet Room by Zilpha Keatley Snyder. I read it when I was 11 or 12. It's about a young girl who finds a special place to read. It made me realize I wasn't alone in my love of reading. Whenever Ernie & I go "junktiquing" I'm always on the lookout for this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a book I would enjoy. Never heard of it but will keep it in mind next time I go bargain hunting at our local thrift shops. Some of my best finds have been at Salvation Army!

    ReplyDelete

Always happy to hear from anyone who stops by my blog.